“Never take life for granted. Savour every sunrise, because no one is promised tomorrow…or even the rest of today.”
– Eleanor Brownn
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Visiting Volunteer with Home Hospice North Lanark (HHNL).
Our wonderful Visiting Volunteers are the people who deliver our core service; the heart of our organization.
As you think about whether or not this is something you are called to do, here is a bit about what makes a good hospice Visiting Volunteer and some information on what your commitment will be.
A visiting volunteer:
- Is compassionate; they have a desire to help others and believe that the hospice concept is important;
• Is sensitive and respectful of the special needs of a vulnerable person who needs extra support due to declining health.
- Is able to be sensitive and respectful of the special needs of a dying person and their family and wants to support them in their journey without judgment (if you are matched with a hospice client);
• Is calm and approachable and open to others who have different values, beliefs and ways of living;
• Is a mature, reliable person and a good listener;
• Has a sense of humour, an open spirit and lots of life experience.
You will need to be available for the following:
- Thirty-five hours of Hospice Association of Ontario (HPCO) training, and an interview with our Program Coordinators and the Chair of the Board;
- And additional six hours of Nav-CARE training;
• A commitment of 2-3 hours a week, between Monday and Friday, during the day;
• One meeting a month with our Program Coordinators, the Chair of the Board, and other Visiting Volunteers.
It is also very important:
- That you can obtain a vulnerable sector police check (or have one that has been obtained within six months of starting as a Visiting Volunteer);
• That you understand and abide by our rules of strict confidentiality;
• That you carry out your volunteer work according to the standards and policies of Home Hospice North Lanark
If you feel that you are in the right place in your life to become a Visiting Volunteer for Home Hospice North Lanark/Nav-CARE, please complete our Visiting Volunteer Application Form [LINK HERE] and send it by email to Emily@hhnl.ca, by fax to 613-691-6060, or by post at P.O. Box 787, Almonte, ON K0A 1A0